Plant Oil Extraction

I make various essential oil extractors, including an at home supercritical carbon dioxide system. These oils can be used for aromatherapy, homeopathic medicines, and many other uses of essential plant oils. When I conduct extractions I update the progress on the blog. Thanks for taking a look around, feel free to contact me. - JY
Home » » Plant Oil Extraction

Plant Oil Extraction

I make various essential oil extractors, including an at home supercritical carbon dioxide system. These oils can be used for aromatherapy, homeopathic medicines, and many other uses of essential plant oils. When I conduct extractions I update the progress on the blog. Thanks for taking a look around, feel free to contact me. - JY
 

New At-Home Supercritical Fluid Extractors

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have finally replaced the EnJYN Scuba tank based system with a custom stainless steel vessel.

The Joe Blow

These can be used to slowly flow through supercritical CO2 at up to 1800PSI, and the pressure vessels can be filled, sealed off, and heated to achieve up to 4000PSI.

I am only offering a 3oz size and an 8oz size to be used at home. Larger capacities will only be offered in closed loop reclaiming systems.

The 3oz I am selling $1299 and the 8oz for $2195


Finally, an added and unintentional bonus is that by removing the quick connect from the hose and upper plug, cans of butane can be used if desired. Both supercritical carbon dioxide extracts and butane dissolved extracts can be made in this set-up without modification.


The collection container now included is twice the diameter of the one in the video below, this allows the carbon dioxide to evaporate/sublimate from the essential oil more readily. The additional benefit is the ease of removing the extract from the container.

New Instructions

Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:00 PM
Check out the new set of at-home EnJYN instructions, written by a customer from hands-on experience. Hopefully it is easier to make sense of than my own ramblings! Thank you s.J

Going Going Back Back To ....

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:54 AM
I will be in California for the next few days. Back on the weekend. Also, I finally have a logo I will put up on my site when I get back.

Very Easy Access Stainless Steel Pressure Vessel

Monday, February 24, 2014 12:09 PM
This is my patented design with plugs, no welding at all in the pressure vessel. The design is strong enough for 3800PSI.

Check out how easy it is to remove the ends for loading/unloading and cleaning.

Another Set Of My Stainless Pressure Vessel

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:30 PM
Showing a vertical extraction position, supercritical CO2 can be pushed in through the bottom or top. Depending on the end set-up.

Stainless Steel Pressure Vessel Proof Run

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:01 AM
These are proof runs of my stainless steel pass-through extractor, not the retail version by any means. The collection vessel of course will be a large diameter spool, I just can't seem to keep any when I have them in stock.

This new method and design is using one continuous extraction at pressures of 1800PSI and below (Actually I capped it at 1500PSI). The temperature and pressure ratings of the aluminum storage vessel are never exceeded at any point.

My stainless steel design allows for up to 3800PSI and so if desired it can be sealed and heated much like the SCUBA tank. That is not the intention, however. This system is meant for convenience for the small commercial market.

I like to show the dirty along with the pretty, so here are some quick and dirty videos of my new design of pressure vessels and a lavender crumble extraction.


Crumble Video

Saturday, February 08, 2014 9:47 AM
As promised, I have made a pass through extractor using my stainless steel pressure vessel design which pops in briefly in this video. This is the end of the first extraction. I have made a longer video showing the process but I am still editing it. Just wanted to get this out to everyone.


For this I put together something from parts I had around because I am impatient. Next week I hope to have a video with the full retail system, the $5500 small commercial level. I am only waiting on shiny parts.

DIY CO2 Crumble, Shatter

Friday, January 31, 2014 1:18 AM
I posted a long how to for DIYers and anyone curious about how to make firm and shatter like oils with super-critical CO2 at home.

In it I explain how to make a collection vessel among other things.

Check it out here.

Errrrrrrrrrr!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:30 PM
Note to anyone who blogs, use a text editor like Word, use a clipboard manager (Word has one built in), and save drafts constantly! Not that this is the first time this has happened (so shame on me), but I lost a good portion of a very long page of information that I was typing.

I think I learned my lesson this time.

Tri Clamp Canisters Are Here

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:44 AM
All 316 Stainless Steel. Click the photos to redirect to the product page.

1L

2L

3L


5L

Is JYNdustriez A SCAM?!?!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:27 PM
No.

This is a question some may wonder, and apparently it is even being insinuated by larger companies that it is true.

I am fully aware that I am new and have very little brand recognition. That is something that will be changing over the coming spring. Part of my focus will go into things like more user friendly instructions, prettier packaging, and my company "image". Public relations are not my strong suit and I am the type that would be fine locked in a work space experimenting, building, and testing all day.

Look me up. If there is any doubt in your mind as to my legitimacy, I am the registered owner of JYNdustriez LLC in Texas and I pay federal tax, as well as state sales tax for any local sales.

My passion will always be designing and improving extractors for the effective removal of essential oils from all plant material. So far it has been explicitly for non-polar solvents, but I look forward to including polar solvents as well for plants like Stevia, and other sugar alcohol containing plants where the desired compounds are mostly polar.

Regardless of doubt surrounding my company or myself, I will continue building new machines and updating my methods. My commitment is to my craft and my customers. It is my privilege to be able to work on something I love and to have all of you that support what I do. Thank you. - JY

Challenges Of Low-Cost CO2/Finding My Market

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:00 AM
As I am finding my place in the market, I have decided to turn away from large commercial systems and release and offer a mid level system for commercial interests. From correspondence and research, the majority of small to medium commercial operations desire a machine for less than $10K that can handle a suitable amount of plant material (1-3lbs) and process it in one day or less, at as low of a temperature as possible.

The simplest way to make this happen at low cost, is to use a system that does not rely on a mechanical pump to supply the force needed for extraction as well as movement of solvent through the system.

There are challenges with this type of design, however. First, the solvent is not reclaimed, and so maximizing the use of the solvent is critical. This is what lead me to use SCUBA tanks because after researching solubility of essential oils in SCCO2 I learned they are more soluble when the solvent is at higher pressures, temperatures, and densities. The negative to this is that the plant is not continuously extracted. It is extracted in iterations of a process, or "runs", and so takes much more time to complete.

The second issue is simply the amount of solvent that is exposed to the plant, is much less than with pump systems. In a pump design the plant material can come into contact with hundreds or thousands of pounds of the solvent because it is continuously pumped and distilled through the extractor. In passive extractions that done in sets, the amount of solvent in contact with the plant is limited by the volume of the pressure vessel, and the number of runs conducted on the same plant material.

A third challenge is temperature. Due to the inability to easily force larger masses of carbon dioxide into fixed volumes at any fill level desired, heat alone must be used to achieve the high pressures needed for extraction. I control this to an extent by warming the storage vessel as I fill my extraction tanks to force a slight overfilling of the cylinder. This allows somewhat lower temperatures to be used for extractions.

You have to face facts, if you do not invest a larger amount initially in a reclaiming extractor, it will cost more per extraction because of the solvent requirements. Thankfully, the solubility of most essential oils are such that it makes great economic sense even if the solvent is not reclaimed.

So, with all of these considerations in mind. I have developed a pass through stainless steel extractor. It is something that can be attached inline to the EnJYN transfer assembly and collection container, should previous customers desire to move up in production level. All you will need is a source of liquid CO2 and your herbs.

The current design allows simple, one-step extractions, in stainless steel vessels. Meaning acidic or wet material is not a problem where corrosion is concerned. So all manner of plant, citrus fruit, seeds, etc can be extracted this way. You open a valve and allow the solvent to flow, at the end you scrape out your extract and that's it.

The extractions will be below 1800PSI and 120F (standard CGA320 limits) unless higher pressure and temperature is desired. The ability to fill, and seal the extractor to achieve higher temp and pressures is there, but not required. Why this is desireable is that after a long pass through extraction at low temp and pressure, which will pick up almost all terpenes and some heavier essential oils, you can do two or three short 10-15min higher pressure iterations at up to 3200PSI to collect waxes and the final yield from your plant. In this manner high yield can be achieved, while preserving and collecting the delicate aromatics in the early part of the extraction.

Although this method is not quite as efficient in the use of CO2 compared with my SCUBA method, it seems that most are more turned off by high temperatures and lengthier extractions, than using a little more solvent. CO2, if you shop around, is relatively cheap. In fact, I pay less per lb of liquid food grade CO2 than I do for dry ice. Usually $1 per lb if you own your own cylinder and find somewhere that has a pump and bulk tank to fill.

The systems will start at $5500 (16-20oz of plant, uses less than $125 in CO2 to extract). If the extraction is to be done indoors, for instance at a storefront, I will also provide lines to vent the CO2 outdoors.

!Coming Soon!

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:19 AM
Due to all the inquiries about components of my system and various items that I use to make my extractors, I am going to start carrying some of these things.

The first will be some 316 Stainless Steel Canisters that have Tri-clamp lids. I will carry 1,2,3, and 5L canisters. Why are these different than sanitary spools? The canister is formed from a single plate of metal, much like SCUBA tanks. Therefore they work well for moderate pressure applications 200PSI and under.

The lids will all come equipped with two female NPT fittings welded to them. 1-2L will have 1/4 FNPT and 3-5L will have 1/2 FNPT. The fittings can be used to turn these into reclaim vessels, open butane extractors, SCFE collection vessels when properly relieved, and many other projects. If only one port is needed a threaded plug can be inserted to blank one fitting.

They use standard sanitary gaskets which I will carry in nitrile mostly, as it makes a good material for most solvents.

They will be available for sale in the next week or two.

All Containers Include:

    Canister
    Clamp
    Lid w Fittings
    Single Gasket



I will stock a few basic threaded adapters as well. My product line will always be growing.

Concerning Heat and CO2 Extractions

Friday, December 20, 2013 10:42 PM
There are concerns, particularly in my at-home method about the heat involved used to extract the essential oils and decomposition from exposure to higher temperatures.

I would like to address this. First, the extractions are carried out typically at 85C (185F) and below. This is below the temperature used for steam distillation. The extraction is happening in a very low oxygen environment so there is a process call pyrolysis which is of most concern to us. This is a process of irreversible thermal degradation, ie your terpenes, oils, and waxes get ruined. There is undoubtedly some going on, however it does not become substantial until temperatures above the boiling point of water 100C.

Further, the extractions are conducted at high pressures which greatly increase the boiling point of your favorite compounds.

Considering the fact that it must be occurring on a small scale even at my lower temperatures, it is best to limit extraction times to 1hr each when at 85C and ~4000PSI. If you wish to retain the most aromatic compounds and you have alot of free time, conduct three or four extractions at pressures of ~2500PSI for an hour per. Then three more at >4000PSI to collect high molecular weight oils, and waxes. This way the more fragile oils avoid pyrolysis.

If you are extracting highly aromatic fragrances and flavorings, like rosemary, lavender, jasmine, rose petals, you need not go above 2500PSI as most of the lighter oils are miscible with liquid CO2.

My methods are always changing, I strive to be flexible and always up to date, so should you!

 

Updated Butane Reclaim

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:25 PM
Recently I had some time to build a pump driven reclaim system for a customer. It uses a modified Appion pump and allows the extraction and reclaiming to be done very cold. I float whichever container is being compressed into in a bath of antifreeze, dry ice (made using liquid CO2 and the EnJYN collection container), and water.


Finally

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:49 PM
Ok everyone, the Mary JYN is here. Patent Pending (finally)

The prototype is a 10L system with 316L stainless steel extraction volumes. The most basic option is a design that is thermally driven, or uses heat to move the CO2, as well as increase the pressure for extraction.

Using switches, the user can control the temperature of each volume individually or both as a unit. By splitting the extraction into two volumes this design becomes more time efficient. As the carbon dioxide is expanded and the oils collected the solvent must condense somewhere else while the extraction volume is heated and under pressure, in this case the solvent is condensed in a chamber already filled with plant material so each movement of the solvent is useful to the extraction.

The extractor design allows for easy transition to positive displacement pumping of the carbon dioxide. So I offer two models, one that uses temperature controlled fluid jackets (cheaper), and one that uses positive displacement pumps (faster, more precise).

Interesting

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:50 PM
I am reading the book Supercritical Fluid Extraction of Nutraceuticals and Bioactive Compounds by Jose L. Martinez.

It is going on about how carboxyl groups make the extraction with only CO2 hard to achieve because they have polarity. It made me think about a few things.

This must be one reason why I can achieve moderate success in small extractors because I use heat and am likely decarboxylating the oils in the latter extractions.

Terpenes can be extracted easily at low pressures and with liquid CO2 because the really aromatic ones are light hydrocarbons. In a temperature driven system the best that can be hoped to achieved is low pressure and low temp extraction of the terpenes, and subsequent extractions at higher temperatures and pressures of mostly decarboxylated active compounds.

In a pump driven system liquid CO2 can be moved to extract the terpenes first, then a polar cosolvent introduced (like ethanol) to remove the still acidic active compounds at low temperature. A pump system can do this more easily because adding alcohol to make a solution with CO2 will lower the overall vapor pressure of the solution and require either a larger mass of the solution to exist in the same volume, or a much high temperature to achieve the same pressures. Since the goal is collecting carboxylated oils, an increased temperature is not desirable. Pumps make this more easily possible. If the cosolvent extraction can be done at low temperatures <0F relatively little chlorophyll will be picked up. If it must be done warmer the terpenes can be separated at the beginning and the carboxylated oils can be cleaned with activated carbon to remove the chlorophyll that is picked up with the alcohol.

The one gray area that I need to find specifics on is exactly how high pressure environments of carbon dioxide affect the release of the carboxyl group (more carbon dioxide). I would like to have control of whether or not decarboxylation happens. A lot of processes call for decarboxylation beforehand. The issue is this is done with heat in the cases I have seen and will lead to loss of light aromatic terpenes.

Anyways, it is a good book to get the brain moving.

Oregon
Sunday, November 03, 2013 11:16 AM
Currently in Oregon meeting lots of good people along the way and at graywolfs hosted lecture.
Forgive me of any delays in correspondence.


Long Time No Post

Saturday, October 26, 2013 12:29 AM
Hello everyone, thanks for keeping my blog fairly popular. As I have mentioned before I am almost done with my first commercial system. But I have not quit experimenting and learning

Some of what I have learned to be the basics of carbon dioxide extractions:

First you must extract, and especially collect at a range of temperatures and pressures in order to have an extract that is diverse in its compounds. Using a pump to conduct the entire operation at one pressure will produce mediocre results. If the extraction is done at low pressure <2600PSI it will be very aromatic but the yield is not as good. If it is done at high pressure >2600PSI it will have better efficiency and yield but a less aromatic oil.

If you can not have both good quality and quantity of yield it would not really make much sense to switch from butane. After all SCFE is a more involved process.

In a temperature controlled system not utilizing pumps this happens naturally. As you increase the pressure through heat a range is experienced by the plant material. As the solution is released and collected this happens again. This is a good reason to keep the collection as slow as possible so the solution is collected at each position within the range for as long as is sensible. What you end up with is an oil that has the properties of an extract collected at all of the ranges versus the high selectivity of keeping the solvent at an even pressure and temperature.

This is possible to achieve with pumps which remove the negatives of heating the plant, using some fancy electronic controls.

Another thing of importance is how the material is prepared. As is the case with most commercial systems, the user wishes to run the plant material moist without drying. This is why a lot of the extracts when first removed are pretty much all liquid. This can be a result of bad CO2 as well because the lower grades have higher allowable moisture contents. It is my opinion that this hasty preparation is what causes the common leafy taste that is associated with the large system's extracts.

Moral is: a range of pressure and temperature, and dry starting material.

Having dry material also allows for the extraction to be collected from the bottom of  the extraction chamber which makes it easier to collect oil from liquid CO2 as opposed to supercritical. The labs intended the use of fractioning to allow wet material to be run. It works but I have yet to hear a great review on the end product.

Squeaky Clean (Stainless)

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:05 PM
You are looking at some very corrosion resistant pipes with a good cyclic fatigue profile. They are for the very first commercial systems I will build. Time for concept and prototype to go into production. Three weeks until completion. What you see below is enough for two complete systems. Four long sections and two short.




I will post again after some welding, machining, and patent filing :).

Website Up!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:05 PM
It is still VERY incomplete but the website is functional and I have smashed my head at the keyboard a few times to come up with this :)


JYNdustriez LLC Website

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:12 AM
That's right. I am building a website. I have purchased a couple of domains and I am filling them with content. Forgive the slowness in updates, this has been at least part of the reason. I will post a web address when things are more presentable, I am excited about this one. LLC and a website, legit!

Pages are missing from this blog as they are being migrated and updated on my website. This will become my basis for displaying experimental content and no longer a store of any sort. This will be, a blog.

Anyways, good things are coming! Thanks everyone for sticking around.

Some Collection Photos From 3500PSI Extractions

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:30 AM


The second extraction in the series begins to produce a waxier end product. The appearance is still very yellow.




The third extraction in a series and the wax, or what I am assuming is waxes and fats, has a more whitish color. Indicating IMO the decreasing presence of essential oils.


A look inside at the third extraction. The waxier extract sticks towards the top and the thinner oils run to the bottom. I always conduct a fourth run because my first is done at a lower pressure of 2600PSI  in order to collect the more fragrant oils first before subjecting the mix to higher heat and pressure. I do this whether I use high final extraction pressures or moderate ones.


The second extraction after collection with ethanol, light heat, and a fan.

The third extraction after collection with ethanol, light heat, and a fan.

Share this article :
 
© 2016. Plant Oil Extraction - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - Contact